The Hague municipality gives the following information about waste collection and disposal. Many areas of The Hague have underground containers, and these areas are expanding all the time. At the moment this is the information you need to know.
How to put out your household waste?
You need to place your household waste in a rubbish bag, rubbish bin or (underground) rubbish container.
Certain rules apply to disposing of household rubbish.
How you dispose of your household waste depends upon the neighbourhood you live in. You can dispose of waste in a:
- rubbish bag
- rubbish bin
- underground or aboveground container
What is not considered household waste?
The following items may not be disposed of as regular household waste:
- oversized waste
- domestic chemical waste
- company waste
- sharp objects or glass in rubbish bags (people passing by and rubbish collectors could cut themselves)
- loose plastic bags
- boxes with rubbish or other loose rubbish
Do you live in a neighbourhood where you put out your household waste each week in a separate rubbish bag or wheelie bin? Then the following rules apply:
- Make sure to put out your rubbish bag or rubbish bin (mini container) at the latest by 7.45 hrs. on the collection day. You may put out your household waste as of 22.00 hrs. the evening before the collection day. However, it is preferable that you put it out on the day itself. This way you help to combat filth and nuisance from animals. You can find the correct collection day in the household waste calendar.
- Always use the mini container you got from the municipality or sturdy rubbish bags with a KOMO hallmark. These are sturdier than other rubbish bags and do not tear as easily. This way you prevent litter on the street.
- Make sure the rubbish bags are tightly sealed so that birds and other animals cannot get into them. And the bag should weigh no more than 8 kilograms.
- Place the household waste as close as possible to the street or areas designated for household waste.
Do you live in a neighbourhood where household waste is collected in rubbish bins? Then you are not allowed to put out separate rubbish bags.
Was your rubbish not collected?
Did you put your rubbish out on time and in the correct way but was it still not collected by 17.00 hrs.? You can report this to the municipality. The HMS (Haagse Milieu Services) will then collect your household rubbish the following weekday. You are obliged to bring the rubbish indoors in the evening. You may put it outside again the following morning before 7.45 hrs.
You could get a fine if you do not bring your rubbish inside in the evening.
Bring your rubbish to a container
Do you live in a neighbourhood where you need to dispose of your household waste yourself? For example, in underground or aboveground containers or a collection spot in your building? The following is important:
- Always place your rubbish bags in the containers and never next to them. Not even when the container is full.
- Do not use large rubbish bags but rather choose smaller ones instead. These fit in the container better and prevent the container from becoming obstructed.
Properly separated rubbish can be used to make new products. By separating your rubbish, you are helping to reduce the use of raw materials and save energy. Separate the following kinds of rubbish from your regular household rubbish:
- electric and electronic appliances
- organic waste (GFT)
- used frying oil