Our first ever cohort of Primary Digital Leaders have now completed their training and soon they will receive their completion certificates and badges which they can wear proudly! We had 16 students in Year 6 who applied for their Digital Leaders position whilst in Year 5. They completed an application form stating why they wanted to be a Digital Leader and how they were going to contribute to the programme. The successful candidates were then entered into the Digital Leaders Programme and they began their training when they graduated to Year 6.
Digital Leaders are students who have undergone a training course provided by the UK based Childnet organisation. The Childnet Digital Leaders Programme is a peer-led online safety programme open to all UK schools, however, we were so impressed by the idea that we became one of the first (possibly THE first) overseas schools to sign up for the programme. The schools that joined the program had access to the Childnet online platforms for Primary or Secondary Schools. Young people have the opportunity to increase their knowledge, achieve recognition and collaborate with other Digital Leaders across the UK.
At ISH the Digital Leaders programme is well into its second year in the Secondary section and we are very happy that the Primary section now has a group of Primary students trained and ready to share their newly gained knowledge about being safe online. The Digital Leaders Programme is:
- Peer-led: Making online safety learning fun and effective
- Empowering: Championing student's voice and giving young people opportunities to be role models
- Practical: Digital Leaders gain key skills such as leadership, communication, and teamwork
- Impactful: Role models encourage safer online behaviours and increase online safety knowledge
- Engaging: Empower parents and staff by harnessing young people's expertise
- Relevant: Stay in-the-know, with the latest online safety news and resources
- For everyone: Helping to embed online safety throughout the school
- Collaborative: Connect with other Digital Leader schools
- Evidence: Showcase how our school's online safety practice is student-led
Many congratulations to the Primary Digital Leaders and a big thanks to members of the Year 6 team for their support.