Of course all the fallen leaves make the roads slippery and the fewer daylight hours is a challenge to all traffic participants.
To have a safe journey to and from school we would kindly ask you not to forget to turn on the lights on your bike and to drive extra carefully with the car.
Please be informed that the Dutch Police does check on bikers every year at the start of the winter season and other times and the fines for improperly lit bikes are high!!!
In the Netherlands the following is mandatory on the bike:
- A white or yellow front light, red backlight.
- The lights should not blink.
- The light may be placed on the bike or on the person (back or front torso, not on arms or legs).
- The lights must shine straight towards the front and straight towards the back.
- The lights must be easily visible.
- You must have a red reflector at the back
- A white reflector on the pedals
- White or yellow reflectors at the wheels or tires
The fines are as follows:
No backlight: 50,-
No front light: 50,-
Therefore: no back and front light: 100,-
No reflectors: 35,-
7,- administration costs as an additional fine